Friday, February 22, 2008

Fuss fazes Huss

VICTORIAN star David Hussey says he is both surprised and embarrassed by his $740,000 purchase by Indian Premier League team Kolkata.

Hussey, who clubbed the second-fastest one-day century in Australian cricket on Wednesday -- a 60-ball innings against New South Wales at the SCG - said he initially thought the price was a joke.

"It was indescribable," he said yesterday.

"I got told and then sat and said 'Are you taking the mickey out of me?' They said it was genuine . . . it's just remarkable. It's very flattering."

Kolkata rated Hussey worth $300,000 more than Australian captain Ricky Ponting, who it also picked up, and $250,000 higher than leg-spin legend Shane Warne.

But Hussey said the best part was a text message from older brother Mike, an established Test star for Australia, who will be paid $381,000 to be part of the IPL.

"He actually sent me a text message this morning and said, 'I can't believe you're worth double what I am,' " Hussey laughed.

While he marvelled at his own good fortune, Hussey lamented the fact his Victorian teammate Brad Hodge, who has more international experience, was overlooked.

"I just don't understand it," Hussey said from Hobart, where he is preparing for tomorrow's Ford Ranger Cup final against Tasmania.

"He's one of the best Twenty20 players in the world, no question.

"His record for Lancashire and for Victoria is second to none. It doesn't make any sense at all.

"I'm very surprised and I sort of feel a bit embarrassed. I think he (Hodge) is a better Twenty20 player than myself and he's been overlooked.

"But I'm sure when the second round comes, when top-up players are required he'll get picked up. He'd have to."

Hussey learned of his windfall before going out to bat against NSW on Wednesday and admitted he found it hard to concentrate.

But he responded by smashing 113 off 64 balls, in an innings that included nine fours and eight sixes. Hodge also joined in with 116 from 119 as Victoria made 8-352.

"I don't know where that came from to be honest," Hussey said of his innings.

"I was pretty distracted and then Shippy (coach Greg Shipperd) pulled me aside and said 'Hey, it's a big game, this, get focused and get some runs. National selection could await, so get you mind on the job'."

Shipperd also joined in the IPL spoils, having been named coach of Delhi.

His team will include Pakistan paceman Shoaib Akhtar, retired Australian great Glenn McGrath, New Zealand skipper Daniel Vettori, West Indian Chris Gayle and Indian youngster Ishant Sharma.

No comments: